Saturday, December 5, 2009
Wintry Wine Punch
• 2 cups water
• 1 cup sugar
• 3 cinnamon sticks
• 8 cloves
• 10 allspice berries
• Tablespoon of minced ginger
• Zest of 1 orange, removed with vegetable peeler in 1-inch-wide strips
• 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
• One 750-ml bottle Syrah or other full-bodied red wine
• Orange slices, for garnish
NOTE: The punch can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before serving.
• In a medium saucepan, combine the water with the sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries, ginger and orange zest. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Lower the heat and simmer the syrup for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the syrup steep for 25 minutes.
• Add the orange juice, then strain the syrup into a medium bowl. Wipe out the saucepan, add the red wine and spiced syrup and heat until simmering. Carefully pour the spiced wine into heatproof glasses, garnish the glasses with orange slices and serve the punch warm or at room temperature in a punch bowl.
Christmas Cranberry Cheer
• 64-ounce cranberry juice cocktail, chilled
• 1 bottle red wine, chilled
• 1/3 cup bottled sweetened lime juice
• 1 liter bottle lemon-lime soda
1. Mix all ingredients in a large punch bowl.
2. Add Holiday Cheer Ice Cubes Splash, recipe below.
Posted by Daisy at 8:25 AM